The Community Development Office provides planning commissioner training to a limited number of municipalities and counties per request. These Planning Refresher sessions provide a general overview for planning commissioners who are new to the game, or in need of a refresher. The Community Development Office requests that those wishing to schedule a Planning Refresher workshop invite neighboring jurisdictions\' planning commissioners and elected officials in order to reach a broader audience and effectively use state resources.
The agenda can be calibrated to fit your specific needs, but typically includes the following elements:
- Planning Authority & Enabling Legislation
- The Role of the Planning Commission in Relation to Elected Officials and Staff
- Effective Meetings and the Decision-making Process
- Basic Planning (long-range planning &, implementation tools)
- Legal and Ethical Review (ex parte, conflicts of interest, etc.)
The session usually takes 2 hours depending on the agenda, and we ask that we are the only item on the agenda if scheduled during a regular meeting time. Please contact Anne Millerwith any questions or to request a Planning Refresher workshop in your neck of the woods.
"Attending the \'Planning 101\' was most informative for me as a new member of the planning and zoning commission. DOLA's resources now and in the future will be very helpful to the city planning and zoning commission". -Planning Commissioner, 2011