Eviction and Foreclosure Prevention

House keys

Special Eviction Prevention Task Force Information and Meetings

Colorado Resources for Those Facing Eviction, Foreclosure, or Non-Payment of Utility Bills

Find Local 211 Services
Assistance finding food, paying housing bills, accessing free childcare or other essential services

Frequently Asked Questions For Tenants and Landlords / Preguntas frecuentes para inquilinos y arrendadores

Emergency Rental and Mortgage Assistance for Households (EHAP)

To Qualify for the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP): 

  • You were unable to pay your rent, mortgage or mobile home lot rent because you experienced financial need due to COVID-19.
  • Your household monthly income is at or below the maximum income listed here
  • You have not already received assistance that covered your rent or mortgage or mortgage forbearance.
  • You complete the application for assistance and provide all of the needed documentation. 
  • Other qualifications and documentation required will be explained by the agency you work with to access the funds.
  • Property owners may not request rental assistance for tenants who are related to them. These tenants may request rental assistance through the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP). For tenants who are unable to request assistance through EHAP due to health concerns or disability, property owner may request a waiver. 
  • Units that receive rental assistance through a voucher program are not eligible for rental assistance through the POP program. 

EHAP program Guidelines

You must go through a local agency. The agency will help you with the application.

Dial 211 or visit www.211colorado.org to find the agency that can connect you to rental or mortgage assistance.

Emergency Rental Assistance for Property Owners (POP)

This is for landlords and property owners applying for assistance on behalf of their tenants only. Tenants/residents are NOT eligible to apply through this program. Tenants must apply through the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP). Click on “TENANTS” here to find out more about this program and how to apply. 

For Landlords/Property Owners to qualify for this program:

  • Your tenants complete the Tenant Certification of Need stating that they were unable to pay rent because they experienced financial need due to COVID-19.
  • The rent for the unit for which assistance is requested is set at or below the POP maximum rent listed below (POP Maximum Rents). All reasonable mobile home lot rents qualify. Reasonable fees in the lease may be reimbursed, excluding late fees, legal fees and fees charged for returned payments due to insufficient funds. Units or tenants supported with a housing voucher are not eligible.
  • The rental unit or mobile home park meets basic health and safety requirements. Self certification is required.
  • Your property is not in foreclosure (if it is, a receivership has been established by the courts) and your state and local real estate taxes have been paid.
  • You agree to all program requirements and provide the proper documentation. Full program guidelines can be found below. 
  • Landlords and tenants who are related by blood or marriage are not eligible to apply for this program. Instead the tenant should apply for rental assistance through one of our partners agencies. Click on “TENANTS" here to find out more about this program and how to apply.

Properties with just a few residents delinquent on rent may consider referring those residents to the Emergency Housing Assistance Program (EHAP).

Program documents:

Program Guidelines
Housing Quality Standards Certification
Mobile Home Park Quality Standard Certification
POP Maximum Rents
W-9 Form W9 form must be dated in 2020 and include a local mailing address if applicable
W-9 Instructions
HAP Agreement
Tenant Certification of Need (ENG/SPA)
Waiver for related tenants-landlords


​(If you are an individual looking for rental or mortgage assistance please call 211 or visit www.211Colorado.org to find out how to apply).



For questions about the program: DOLA_POP@state.co.us

To report potential fraud or concerns: Dola_PopFraud@state.co.us 

MODEL Repayment Agreement for Tenants and Landlords

Governor Polis' Executive Order 2020 051 does not relieve individuals from their obligation to make mortgage payments or rent payments. The Order directs the Department of Local Affairs (DOLA), Department of Labor and Employment (CDLE), and Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) to work with property owners and landlords to create model repayment agreements that allow tenants additional time to repay rent. Landlords and tenants may use DOLA’s Model Repayment Agreement to mutually agree on a plan for repaying outstanding rent or other contractual amounts in the future.

Model Repayment Agreement (PDF)
Model Repayment Agreement (Word)

Acuerdo Modelo De Pago (PDF)
Acuerdo Modelo De Pago (Word)

MODEL Notification of Tenant Protections

Governor Polis' Executive Order 2020 051 does not relieve individuals from their obligation to make mortgage payments or rent payments. The Order requires that landlords of “covered housing” under the federal CARES Act to notify residents of their federal protections against eviction and foreclosures. The Department of Local Affairs' Division of Housing has developed a model form letter available below.

Model Notification of Federal Protections Letter (PDF)
Model Notification of Federal Protections Letter (Word)