A temporary task force within the Department of Local Affairs will examine housing instability due to COVID-19 in Colorado. The Special Eviction Prevention Task Force will work in partnership with the Division of Housing’s Strategic Housing Working Group. The task force will present its findings and recommendations to the Executive Director of DOLA and to the Governor within 30 days of its first meeting.
The Task Force is composed of ten individuals that represent a variety of perspectives and backgrounds from the housing and development space, and will work in partnership with the Department of Local Affairs’ Division of Housing, the Strategic Housing Working Group, and the Governor’s office.
• Chris Romer of Denver, Colorado, appointed;
• Skippy Leigh Upton Mesirow of Aspen, Colorado, appointed;
• Andrew Feinstein of Denver, Colorado, appointed;
• Rachel Friend of Boulder, Colorado, appointed;
• Ty L. Coleman of Alamosa, Colorado, appointed;
• Jennifer Kermode of Gunnison, Colorado, appointed;
• Jennifer Linda Rodgers of Denver, Colorado, appointed;
• Beatriz Gonzalez of Broomfield, Colorado, appointed;
• Andy Newell of Greenwood Village, Colorado, appointed;
• Leanne Denise Wheeler of Aurora, Colorado, appointed;
• Darren Everett of Denver, Colorado, appointed, replaced Andrew Feinstein.
- September 10, 2020
Week 1 meeting agenda:
• Welcome and Introductions, 9-9:20 a.m.
• Review Task Force Objectives 9:20-9:30 a.m.
• Residential Evictions—Terminology and Process 9:30-9:40 a.m.
• State Response to Eviction Challenges—Executive Orders, State Programs and Funding 9:40-10:15 a.m.
• Comments from Governor Polis 10:15-10:30 a.m. (approximate)
• City of Denver Response to Eviction Challenges 10:30-10:50 a.m.
• Programs offering Alternatives to Eviction 10:50-11:15 a.m.
o Las Animas County
• Task Force discussion 11:15-noon
- September 17, 2020
9:00 - 9:10 Start and introductions
9:10 - 9:25 ANB Bank presentation (Koger Propst)
9:25 - 10:00 CO Center for Law and Policy and COVID 19 Eviction Defense Fund presentations
10:00 - 10:15 Q&A
10:15 - 10:25 Break
10:25 - 11:45 Task Force discussion and deliberation
11:45 - 12:00 Wrap up
- September 24, 2020
9:00 - Noon
9:00-9:15 a.m. Councilwoman Torres from City and County of Denver on tenants under-served by federal programs
9:15-9:25 a.m. DOLA economic projections
9:25-10 a.m. Apartment Association presentation on tenant and landlord response to pandemic, delinquencies/collection trends, Q&A
10 a.m. – Noon Policy Discussion
- October 1, 2020
9-9:05 a.m.: Welcome back
9:05-9:20 a.m.: Discussion on current recommendations (S1, S2, M1, M2). Agree on language modifications.
9:20-10:10 a.m.: Increasing resources for tenants and landlords
10:10-10:30: Process modifications—bolstering the CDC moratorium; “sealing” eviction records from 2020; extending 48 hour writ of possession
10:30-11 a.m.: Solutions for problem landlord/tenants
11 a.m.-Noon* Broader housing challenges
*Note that meeting can continue to 1 p.m. if needed.
*If you are in need of rent/mortgage assistance, housing counseling, eviction/foreclosure assistance or housing related legal services please visit coloradohousingconnects.org
Director, Office of Housing Finance and Sustainability